Students will be able to
- define and understand the term water of crystallization,
- understand that salts can be hydrated or anhydrous,
- understand the use of dot notation to express water of crystallization,
- calculate the stoichiometry of a hydrated crystal based on hydrated and dehydrated masses of a crystal,
- connect the loss of mass of a hydrated crystal with the loss of water molecules from the crystal,
- describe in brief the properties of different hydrates (e.g., efflorescence, hygroscopicity).